Thank You Congressman Carbajal and all the Free Tax Preparation Representatives for attending our Tax Season Kickoff on February 17, 2022!
- Where: San Luis Obispo Library Community Room - 995 Palm St, SLO
- When: Thursday, February 17, 2022, 5:00-6:00pm
- Why: To share FREE Tax Preparation services (VITA) and tax credits available in SLO County and on the Central Coast
United Way of San Luis Obispo County & our Partners are proud to host the 2022 Tax Season Kick-Off Event featuring Special Guest: Representative Salud Carbajal. All community members are invited to attend this in-person community event.
Would you like to find out if you are eligible for tax credits like CalEITC, the Young Child Tax Credit and more? Are you interested in tax preparation services for FREE? We will be discussing tax credits, programs, services and more! Don’t pay to file your taxes. These FREE programs can help you save money.
Thank you to the following FREE Tax Program Representatives for sharing your 2022 services and programs:
Trisha Daughtrey, Cal Poly VITA
Cary Gray, Northern Santa Barbara County United Way and Allan Hancock Collete
Rick London, CEO, United Way of SLO County
Riley Smith, VITA Program Manager, UWSLO
Vicky Van den berg, AARP
Linda Wingert, COO, UWSLO
Maria McGlothlin, Financial Stability Program Coordinator, UWSLO
Mohini Smith, Finance/Accounting Specialist, UWSLO
You can also get help using MyFreeTaxes.org from United Way!
Need Help using MyFreeTaxes.org? United Way of SLO County will be offering assistance using the software on MyFreeTaxes.org to help you file your own taxes! Volunteers will be available to help you create an account and navigate the software as you prepare and file your taxes. Volunteers will not be completing your tax return.
Dates and Locations:
- Sundays 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM beginning February 20
- Located at SLO, Arroyo Grande, and Los Osos public libraries
Click to Download the MyFreeTaxes Preparation Checklist (What you will need to file your taxes)
Also required are the following:
1) Email Address
2) Cell Phone (for account verification)
Did you know California has a tax credit for working families and individuals? It’s called the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and it is modeled after the federal credit.
California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)
In addition to the federal Earned Income Tax Credit, a state Earned Income Tax Credit is now available for families in California. Signed into law in 2015, California’s new EITC is available for households who meet income eligibility. About 3 million California families and individuals may qualify for this credit in 2022. Who should you know?
- If you file with an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or someone in your household has one, you might now qualify for the credit if you otherwise meet eligibility criteria.
- A worker earning $30,000 or less may qualify for the credit. That's equivalent to a full-time worker earning about $15/hr.
- Up to additional $1,000 for qualifying families with young children under 6.
- Self-employment income may qualify for the credit. Both 1099 filers and cash earners qualify.
- Adults 18-24 and those over 65 with no dependents qualify for the California Earned Income Tax Credit.
Learn more at The California Budget and Policy Center
Check out this video from CA Franchise Tax Board for info on CalEITC:
For more information about EITC and to find out about free tax prep services:
Text “TAXES” to 211-211
Click our Tax-Time calculator below to see if you qualify for credits this year!
Thank you to our 2022 partners!