New Opening! Part-time Tax Season Assistant.
Interested? Email Resume, Cover Letter, and Completed Application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Accepting applications now through
December 30, 2022.
Tax Program Assistant
Chief Operations Officer
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is seeking a part-time staff person to support its work to achieve racial and financial equity for those individuals and families struggling to make ends meet, including low-income, middle-income and those in poverty.
The Tax Program Assistant is charged with supporting our Tax Season and other Financial Stability programs as directed, including becoming IRS tax preparer certified, preparing basic tax returns, and supporting other staff in the implementation and delivery of our Free Tax Preparation Assistance programs. This position performs work that is critical to the organization’s efforts to focus its efforts outward and support the self-sufficiency of community members.
This Tax Program Assistant is accountable for the achievement and advancement of mission, goals and objectives of the association by ensuring successful outcomes in program implementation and community engagement. Helps cultivate a cause-driven culture of community service that continually embraces the spirit of cooperation, teamwork, and accountability.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
- Ability to certify as a VITA Tax Preparer from linklearncertification.com
- Help Intake clients into VITA program by collecting and organizing documents
- Help Prepare Tax Returns as directed
- Prepare basic IRS tax returns as assigned
- Organize completed returns and notify taxpayers when their return is finished
- Engage with clients in a positive respectful and professional manner
- Assist in uploading client’s tax documents so virtual returns can be prepared
- Assist in making copies of client’s tax documents as needed
- Assist in creating and managing client files and tax returns as needed
- Assist in recruiting tax prep volunteers as needed
- Assist in finding and creating financial and tax education content to include general information and specialized content for different audiences (e.g. self-employed individuals, people starting a new job, first-time homebuyers etc.)
- Support other United Way programs, staff and activities as needed.
- Seek out and demonstrate strategic thinking and initiative to effectively analyze results and drive quality improvements.
- Maintain and support the current program delivery model, while enhancing the development of innovative methods for successful program implementation including technology solutions and web-based solutions.
- Attend staff, committee and community meetings as necessary or directed by supervisor.
- Support the Volunteer Income Tax Program (VITA) tax and MyFreeTaxes programs through staffing of sites as requested
- Promote savings and offer savings strategies and incentives to tax clients
- Become knowledgeable and proficient in talking about savings with tax clients
- Assist in developing a year-round communications plan to educate and inform tax clients on financial stability topics
- Connect tax clients to asset building opportunities
- Create and strengthen partnerships with organizations doing related work
• Experience with tax, financial education and workforce development preferred
• Knowledge of community organizations and resources preferred
• Ability to certify at the Intake and Standards of Conduct level for tax preparation with the IRS
• Ability to certify at the Basic Tax Return Preparer level for tax preparation with the IRS (online through Link & Learn)
• Demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English
• Proficient time management skills
• Valid driver’s license and reliable car
• Ability to lift 20 pounds
• This job function uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, printers and copiers
• A combination of remote and onsite work
• Ability to travel to tax sites
• Will require evening and weekend work hours
Minimum requirements include:
- High School Diploma
- Ability to obtain VITA Basic Tax Preparation Certification (Advanced Certification Preferred)
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
The budgeted lifespan salary range for this position is currently $17-$20 per hour. The targeted salary for this hire is $19/hr. Proffered salaries are determined by several factors including applicant’s knowledge, skills, experience, equity, and market.
An individual must be able to demonstrate the following competencies at a satisfactory level:
Accountability/Results Orientation - Is accountable for the achievement of assigned work projects. Collaborates with others to establish work project parameters, desired results/outcomes and resource requirements. Keeps team leader(s) informed on work progress and changes in work direction. Takes ownership of work and outcomes achieved, selecting the best work approach. Protects the United Way brand, promoting its relevance and statue to the extent possible. Behaves ethically and honestly in all activities done on behalf of UWW, UWSLO and the movement. Demonstrates a commitment to UWW’s values, including diversity and inclusiveness.
Decision-Making/Risk-Taking - Evaluates available information and recommends a course of action. Contributes own assessment of risks and implications of decisions in team decision-making efforts. Develops and proposes effective alternative solutions. Uses judgment appropriately in decision-making. Knows when to shift decision-making upwards.
Teamwork Collaboration - Shares pertinent information and keeps team members informed on a regular basis. Ensures that processes, systems and resources are available and direct them properly to enable the team to efficiently accomplish its goals and objectives. Able to adapt quickly to changing conditions or performance expectations. Able to focus on assignments during periods of change and/or uncertainty.
Relationship Management - Utilizes rapport to build trust and collaboration with others. Identifies and shares mutual benefits/needs in working together. Is ethical in dealing with others to achieve the desired results. Interacts and communicates with diverse stakeholders effectively. Fosters and maintains working relationships across the United Way system. Formulates and communicates in an ethical and politically sensitive manner.
Communications - Expresses work issues and problems in a clear and concise manner. Communicates effectively with others up, down and across the organization to achieve expected organization results. Gives and receives constructive feedback. Seeks direct input on team effectiveness and environment.
Innovation/Creativity - Develops and implements new approaches to accomplish tasks that impact others in and outside of own team. Is able to reasonably "take risks.” Assists others in developing new systems, products, processes and procedures. Strives to stay current on new or emerging trends and capitalizes on them.
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is one of approximately 1,400 United Ways around the world. Each United Way is an independent entity that serves a specific community. This United Way serves the entirety of San Luis Obispo County.
United Way raises funds and invests in solutions that positively impact the people in our community. We’re investing in financial stability programs that help to improve individuals and family’s socioeconomic status. United Way of San Luis Obispo County is a community change organization that works to improve the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community. United Way fosters structural change by addressing root causes in order to safeguard the future of our community and we focus on work that will erase divisions, bridge divides, and right inequities. We connect people with resources that change lives and transform our community.
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
United Way of San Luis Obispo County Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is committed to advancing equity in its work. Equity seeks to undo discrimination and bias to create a just and fair society in which all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We invite applications from underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. People of all protected classes including race, ethnicity, gender, and all ability levels are encouraged to apply.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement of Principle:
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.